As a tour guide, I always get the question: “Why join the Honors College? What can it offer?”
Well those are great questions! I have been a part of the honors college since coming to Eastern. In order to get in from high school, you need a 3.5 GPA and 25 on the ACT. There are about 300 students admitted to the Honors College each year and there are many perks that come with it:
- Smaller Class Size: Honors classes cap at 20 students. This means you get a more enriching experience in the classroom and you have a better chance of getting to know other students and professors in the Honors classes.
- Prior Registration: Students in the Honors College get to register with the seniors so they get the first pick of classes.
- Individualized Honors Advising: There are many Honors advisors that can help students figure out Honors classes to take and what they need in order to graduate with the different types of Honors.
- Downing Hall Residential Living: Students that are in the Honors College get the option to live on campus in Downing Hall. This is a great experience and allows Honors students to interact outside of classroom life.
- Scholarship opportunities: As a senior in high school, you can compete in the Presidential Scholarship Competition that gives many students a full ride to EMU. Even if you do not receive the full ride you will get a scholarship of about $4,500 every year.
- Diverse Community: The Honors community may be small but it is growing and very diverse. There are students from all over the place and all different kinds of majors in the Honors College so you can always find someone that is similar to you.
If this does not convince you to be in the Honors College then I’m not sure what will. Honors College looks great on a resume and there are different ways to graduate with Honors. Get involved and go Honors!