One of the highlights of living in Ypsilanti in the summer is cooking meals with friends. After relying on meal plans for the past 8 months, I am ready to cook for myself.
Here are a few summer recipes that are a hit with all of my friends.
• 1 cup of each: strawberries, blueberries, and green grapes. (or any other fruit you enjoy)
• 2 6-ounce Capri Sun pouches or 1 1/2 cups fruit punch
What you’ll need: Cutting board, a knife, measuring cups, mixing bowl, spoon, popsicle molds.
Directions: Put the fruit in a large mixing bowl. Spoon the mixture into 8 popsicle molds. Fill each mold with enough punch to reach the fill line. Add the popsicle stick and place in the freezer. Freeze until the popsicles are frozen solid (approx. 4 hours). Allow the molds to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or place under warm running water for 10-20 seconds to remove popsicles.
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
(I’m a sucker for pesto sauce! Here’s one of my personal favorite sandwiches.)
• 2 slices of bread
• 2 slices of mozzarella cheese
• 3 tablespoons of basil pesto & 1 tablespoon of butter
• 1/3 cup of finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat a pan over medium heat. Start by buttering the outside of each slice of bread and spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice. Place the mozzarella cheese slice on the pesto side of the bread. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on one side of the buttered side of the sandwich. Place the sandwich, parmesan cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is crusted and golden brown. Place the rest of the parmesan cheese on the other side of the sandwich. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Cut and serve!
This dish serves 6 so invite your friends!
• 2 1/4 pounds plum tomatoes
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound of spaghetti
• Grated Parmesan cheese
Chop tomatoes, basil, parsley, and garlic and mix together with oil. Boil a large pot of salted water. Throw the pasta in and cook until it is al dente. Drain the pasta and toss it in a serving bowl with the sauce mix. Drizzle with oil on top and serve with some cheese.
These recipes were found on pinterest!
What is your favorite summer recipe?