In honor of celebrating MLK this past weekend, I want to talk to you about why we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I want to give you a little bit of history on what this man did, not only for African-Americans but for America as a whole. His speeches and his messages are still just as relevant today as they were then. How he called for people to protest non-violently even as violence surrounded them. The amount of backlash, hate, and discrimination he faced walking his righteous path. His speeches are legendary and are some of the best in the history of this country. How he saw a future for America that we would one day come to fruition as all races and live in harmony. I honestly could go on and on about what this man means to me personally, but that would take too long, so here are some fast facts about this American civil rights hero and why we observe him on this national holiday.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was born on 1925 in Atlanta, Georgia to Martin Luther King Sr. and Alberta Williams.
- Dr. King skipped 9th & 12th grade and enrolled at Morehouse College at the age of 15
- In 1955, he became the leader of the Montgomery, Alabama Bus Boycott where Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white man
- In 1957, King along with many other civil rights activists formed the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC). They would go on to organize many peaceful civil rights protests around the country
- On August 28, 1963, King organized “The March on Washington in support of racial equality. It was here that he gave his famous “I Have a Dream Speech”.
- On October 14, 1964, King was the youngest person to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
- In 1968, President Ronald Reagan signed a bill to declare Martin Luther King Jr. Day, as a day to remember his legacy and what he did for civil rights.
- In February 1959, Dr. King traveled to India to learn Gandhi’s principles of nonviolence
(n.d). 2019, “Fast Facts about Martin Luther King Jr.”, www.phillytrib.com
About the writer:
My name is Kevin Hillman and I am a junior here at Eastern Michigan University. I am studying Public Relations and I really enjoy going to the gym and hanging out with friends.