I heard Brad Paisley’s “Letter to Me” on the radio on the way home from work today. After actually listening to the lyrics, I thought “huh, I wonder what my letter would say?” I laughed to myself, sat down, and started writing…
Dear Freshman Sarah,
Most people will call you Drabik – that also gets transformed into Dray, Dray-Beezy, and Draby Baby. Each name has its own funny story so just let it happen. Dad still calls you Sarah Lou and you’ll invent a face that makes you look like a Cindy Lou-Who from the Grinch, which becomes sort of a photo-bomb trademark.
The next few years are somewhat of a rollercoaster, but I promise you it’s all worth it. To help you through the ride, here are some pointers:
- Transitioning the first couple weeks was rough, but you make tons of friends in Downing Hall. It’s true that you meet some of the most amazing people at school and you stay friends with many people from the second floor all through college.
- Remember to say “hi” to the girl in the bathroom at sorority recruitment. Her name is Katie; you join the same sorority and she becomes one of your best friends.
- Flirt with the guy in American Government; he’s actually a pretty cool guy and makes class at 9:30 AM a little more tolerable.
- Once you complete your Math requirement, don’t worry about taking Calculus. You don’t become a Math Teacher.You’re going to get your heart broken… more than once. I know it’s tough, but you learn something more about yourself every time.
- On that note, don’t take Econ. Honestly, you aren’t that good at it and you don’t become a Social Studies Teacher.
- While we’re on the topic, you don’t become a teacher at all. It is okay that you switched your major and completely normal that you changed your mind. You’re now doing something you really love, but I’ll let you figure that out.
- Tell people how you feel. Your first heartbreak is because you didn’t share your feelings; the second is because you did. Either way, knowing is better than sitting with a life of “what ifs”.
- When the girls are going out to Theo’s – don’t think twice about going. It’s like “Cheers” and everybody knows everybody. A majority of the best memories are created here and they will keep you laughing forever.
- Finally, spend as many summers as you can at school because nothing beats an Ypsi Summer.
Now this may not make sense right at this time, but you’ll look back and smile. You’ll have some rough patches and days where nothing seems to go right, but your spirit (just like your horrible “Snooki” poof) won’t ever completely deflate. Remember to smile, love, and live every moment.