Written by: EMU student, Stephanie Bardoni
Moving on campus was the best decision I’ve ever made for myself. Now in my senior year, this is my fourth year living on campus; two years in a residence hall and two years in the on-campus apartments. Living on campus allows me to live where I learn, and be a part of a supportive community of students and friends who I’ve built relationships with over my four years at EMU.
Living in the residence halls helped me transition into life away from home. RA’s do a great job of making you feel a part of something bigger than just the four walls of your bedroom. Whether it’s them knocking on your door with candy while you study or them hosting a program about on-campus resources, they are there for you.
Move in day is near, and I am so excited for all of you taking the leap into on-campus living. Whether you’re a freshman or transfer student, moving in will be exciting and even a little scary. Moving in is stressful, but here are some tips to make it easier:
- Even before leaving for EMU, make sure you don’t over pack. Do you really need all 22 pairs of shoes you have? Probably not. Bring only what you need.
- Make sure to have your emich ID ready & actived when you come to your hall to check in.
- If you have a small dolly or cart, bring it! The residence halls will have these available, but you’re moving in with hundreds of others who will also need them.
- Get everything moved in before you start trying to decorate. I know you all want to channel your inner property brothers but suppress that at least until you’ve emptied your cars.
- Also, if you want to arrange your room furniture in a specific way, do it before you start unpacking. You can maximize space differently in each hall, but utilizing shelves & putting storage containers and dressers underneath beds will make your room look much bigger than you think.
- Lastly, relax! Moving in is stressful, but staying calm will make a world of difference. Also, be nice to mom and dad. It’s just as hard on them as it is on you.
Welcome to on-campus living! I hope you enjoy your time here just as much as I have. If you haven’t applied, there’s still time! Visit www.emich.edu/residencelife for more information!